Following on from the successful series of tutor training workshops held over the past two years, Tony Croft and Michael Grove have pulled together a set of resources to support the on-going training requirements of mathematics and statistics support provisions. These resources will support the training of tutors new to offering mathematics ands statistics support as well as refresher training for more experienced staff. The resources may be freely used or adapted without further permission and we suggest that they should be read in conjunction with Tutoring in a mathematics support centre – a guide for postgraduate students.
- Introductory Presentation: sets the scene for the day; group activities to discuss the rationale for providing mathematics support, what maths support means, what a centre might look like and how it will operate. Groups to share their own experiences.
- Do’s and don’ts: group activity to discuss how tutors might prepare prior to working in the centre, and how they might conduct themselves during a tutoring session.
- Problem Solving: activities for an interactive session when groups consider a variety of problems and discuss how they might help students with them; discussion of various problem solving strategies.
- Offering statistics support – presentation outlining the way statistics support can differ from mathematics support and the types of problem that can arise.
- Scenarios – these scenarios are based on real events that can happen during a drop-in session. They can form the basis of group discussion about how events like these can be handled by the tutor.
- Useful resources – a selection of resources that have been found valuable for students or tutors in mathematics support centres.
- The Guide: Tutoring in a mathematics support centre
- Connections Article: Mathematics and Statistics Support Centres: Resources for training postgraduates and others who work in them
- MSOR Connections Workshop Report: Offering Training to Postgraduates who Tutor in Mathematics Support Centres
Click on the link below to access the zip file containing these resources: