CETL-MSOR Conference 2016
“A Brave New World”
Tuesday 6 to Wednesday 7 September 2016 at Loughborough University
The aim of this 11th Annual CETL_MSOR Conference was to promote, explore and disseminate emerging good practice and research findings in Mathematics, Statistics and Operational Research (MSOR) teaching, learning, assessment and support. As in previous years, the conference appealed to all those teaching Mathematics, Statistics, Operational Research or Numeracy, whether this is to specialist mathematics students or students studying components of mathematics within their degree programmes (such as bioscience, chemistry, computer science, economics, engineering, nursing, physics, psychology, social work, etc.).
This year’s conference was entitled “A Brave New World” reflecting the changing financial landscape, including the completion of the current HEFCE-funded sigma project, as well as the Government’s new focus on teaching excellence. The conference aimed to explore ways in which learning and teaching in MSOR is developing to meet the challenges it faces.
The principal themes of the conference were:
- Demonstrating and evidencing teaching excellence in the mathematical sciences.
- Responding to the challenges of assessment and feedback.
- Teaching mathematics and statistics within the disciplines.
- The onward transition: Preparing students for the workplace or further study.
- Current developments in mathematics and statistics support.
- Supporting the specialist mathematician and more-able student.
- Engaging students with their learning of mathematics and statistics.
Interesting contributions from other areas of learning and teaching of MSOR were also welcomed.
We were delighted to welcome our keynote speakers:
- Professor Chris Linton, President of the IMA
- Professor Mark Chaplin, Gregory Chair of Applied Mathematics, University of St Andrews
As in previous years, there was also a student-led keynote session.
The programme for the conference can be found by clicking on the following link: CETL MSOR 2016 Programme
Proceedings are available by clicking this link: CETL-MSOR 2016 Proceedings